Good day everyone my name is Salomé Scholtz and I am a registered dietician with the Transform Your Health Network (THYN). From a very young age I have always been interested in the important role that healthy eating plays in each of our lives. So one day when I came across the famous quote from Hippocrates- which state: Let food be thy medicine and they medicine be thy food. I knew exactly what I was destined to do.
So today I am here to share 5 tips to help you to overcome bad eating habits at work.
With the busy lifestyles we all lead today it is difficult to invest time in ourselves and our health. Replacing a bad habit with a good habit takes time and patients, which is something that most of us are lacking. You don’t need to make huge changes to eat healthier. And you don’t have to change your habits all at the same time. It is best to set small goals and change all your habits all at the same time. It is best to set small goals and make small changes a little at a time. So today I will address some of the challenges that we all face in the workplace.
- So the first tip that I will share with you today is that you should pack your own lunch and snacks, instead of going to the canteen or opting for a fast food meal. This will help you to have more control of what you eat. Try to prepare you meals and your snacks the night before, and this will help you to overcome any obstacles that might prevent you from being prepared.
- The second tip is also quite a big challenge at work, and that is the monthly birthday celebrations. It is filled with endless amounts of cakes, pastries, biscuits…you name it. So when you decide to improve your eating habits, don’t tell yourself you can’t have a piece of cake that your colleague is offering you, tell yourself instead that you choose not to have a that piece of cake, because you are working on yourself and you want to improve your eating habits. Always remember why you are challenging yourself and don’t lose sight of the bigger picture.
- The third tip is that when you are snacking at work that it is best to actually put your snack in a bowl instead of eating from the packet. At work we are always distracted by a million other things and we rarely focus on what we are actually eating. So this will help you to control your portion size and you don’t have to put all your focus on what you are eating.
- The fourth tip is to drink water instead of high energy drinks or high-sugar containing drinks.
- The fifth and the last tip is don’t skip or delay your meals or snack. If you ignore the feelings of hunger, you may end up eating too much or you tend to choose unhealthy snacks.
I hope these 5 tips will help you to overcome some of the biggest challenges (of which there are plenty) that we face in the workplace that is preventing all of us from improving our eating habits. I am stationed at the Midrand, Roodepoort and Parkmore practices. I hope these tips helped.
Compiled by: Salomé Scholtz