Find Out NOW If You Qualify For 1000 Vitality Points Before It’s Too Late!
What is Vitality Weight Loss Rewards?
Vitality Weight Loss Rewards (WLR) is a weight-loss journey that aims to help you lose weight in short, manageable cycles until you reach a healthier weight. You will earn rewards for participating and for reaching your goals.
Who is eligible for Vitality Weight Loss Rewards?
Vitality will recommend WLR to qualifying members. You can choose to join the programme if it is recommended to you and if you’d like help in losing weight.
To start a WLR journey, you need to meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Your BMI (Body Mass Index) or the combination of your BMI and waist circumference must be above the recommended healthy range, i.e. if your BMI is greater or equal to 30, OR your BMI is between 25 and 29.9 and you also have a waist circumference greater or equal to 94 cm for males, or greater or equal to 80 cm for females.
- You must have gone for a verified weigh-in within the last 30 days. (If you recently went for a verified weigh-in, remember it can take up to 1 week to reflect.)
- You must be between 18 and 79 years old.
- You must have a smartphone and have downloaded the latest version of the Discovery app.
- You must have an active HealthyFood benefit and specify a cash back account. If not, you should activate HealthyFood now.
- If you are eligible to join WLR, you must declare you have no medical reason preventing you from taking part in WLR, and accept the terms and conditions at the start of each cycle.
How do I know if I am eligible?
If you’d like to activate WLR, you can go for a verified weigh-in with one of our dieticians. Book now or Call Us on (074) 3420986
If you complete your health checks with one of our dieticians, you need to send us your official results by submitting them on the ‘Claim Vitality points’ page. Please allow 48 hours for processing. You can then check that these points have been awarded on your Vitality Points Monitor on the ‘Track and earn’ points page.
If you meet the eligibility criteria, you will receive a recommendation from Vitality. You will then have a window period of 8 weeks to activate WLR. If you don’t activate in this time, you’ll have to go for a new verified weigh-in to update your data.
You must activate Vitality Weight Loss Rewards yourself on the Discovery app, as it cannot be activated by a call centre agent.
How does it work?
If WLR has been recommended to you and you want to join, follow these steps:
- Download the Discovery app on an iOS or Android smartphone.
- Log in, navigate to the Vitality tab and activate Vitality Weight Loss Rewards.
- If you are eligible to join, follow the step-by-step process from the WLR app screen.
- To activate WLR, you must first have an active HealthyFood policy with bank details for cash back to be paid into.
- You’ll earn 250 Vitality points in a calendar year for activating WLR.
- On the app, select a personalised weight-loss goal for your first 12-week cycle.
- Track your weight-loss weekly, and earn 20 Vitality points for doing so.
- Reach your goal for that cycle and enjoy cash back of up to 50% of your HealthyFood spend for 3 months, and up to 2 500 Vitality points.
- Then move on to your next cycle. Complete as many cycles as you need in order to reach your recommended healthier weight.
Here is more detail about how a weight-loss cycle works.
- The aim of the WLR journey is to reach your recommended healthier weight, which may take several cycles. Each cycle is 12-weeks long.
- A cycle starts by choosing your goal – how much weight you want to lose in 12 weeks.
- Once you have activated your cycle, you’ll earn 20 points a week for logging your weight on the app (self-captured weight).
- You will be able to see your weekly progress within your current and past cycles on the ‘History’ page of your WLR home screen.
- Towards the end of your cycle (weeks 10 to 12), the verified weigh-in window period will open. During this time, you need to go for a verified weigh-in to determine the weight loss (or maintenance, when applicable) you achieved, and the corresponding rewards you will earn.
- If you go for a verified weigh-in and achieve the goal you selected at the beginning of the cycle, the cycle will automatically close, you will get your rewards and you’ll progress to the next cycle immediately.
- If you don’t achieve the goal you selected, the cycle will run its full course and close at the end of the 12-weeks. You will be rewarded according to the weight you achieved, and you’ll progress to the next cycle.
- There may be instances where you have lost some weight but not enough to be rewarded but you will still move on to the next cycle.
- If no verified weigh-in data is received or if you didn’t achieve sufficient weight loss, the cycle will run its full course and close at the end of the 12-weeks. However, you will not receive any rewards and will need to restart your WLR journey.
- There may be instances where you don’t achieve sufficient weight-loss be moved onto a new cycle.
- Once you have reached your recommended healthier weight, you need to maintain it for one more cycle (your final cycle).
- If you do so, you’ll reach the end of your weight-loss journey and achieve your journey goal!
How are my weight-loss goals determined?
At the beginning of a WLR cycle, you need to select a goal weight from a safe but clinically-relevant range. Three different weight levels within the range are offered. Each one is associated with a different level of reward (up to 2 500 Vitality points and up to 50% additional HealthyFood cash back).
- Level 1: 10% extra cash back and up to 1 000 extra points
- Level 2: 15% extra cash back and up to 1 500 extra points
- Level 3: 25% extra cash back and up to 2 500 extra points
The maximum weight-loss goal Vitality will ever set (in terms of kilograms to lose) in a 12-week cycle is 11kg, because clinical guidelines state that weight loss of over 1kg a week can be unsafe.
Below is an example of how the goal levels would work if your starting weight was 100 kg:
Each cycle has the ultimate aim of helping you reach your recommended healthier weight. Once you do so, you’ll move into the final cycle of your WLR journey. The goal for this final cycle will always be to maintain your recommended healthier weight.
How do the rewards work?
- Depending on the amount of weight you lose, you will get rewarded with Vitality points and additional HealthyFood cash back.
Earn Vitality points for every cycle of the journey you complete, depending on the amount of weight you lose:
- You earn 250 Vitality points in a calendar year for activating WLR.
- You earn 20 points weekly for each self-captured weigh-in, up to a maximum of 200 points per cycle.
- Points for successfully achieving Level 1, 2 or 3 goals for a cycle, as detailed in the table below:
- Earn additional HealthyFood cash back for three months, depending on the amount of weight you have to lose:
- You also earn additional HealthyFood cash back for three months the first time you successfully achieve Level 1, 2 or 3 weight goals for a cycle, as follows:
- You can earn additional HealthyFood cash back for your first successful cycle (i.e. the first cycle where you achieve a Level 1, 2 or 3 goal) once in your lifetime only (see exception below).
- EXCEPTION: If you start WLR with a BMI greater or equal to 30 kg/m2 and you successfully complete your first WLR journey (and so earn the additional HealthyFood cash back), but your BMI is still out of range, you will then be eligible for additional HealthyFood cash back one more time, if you activate a new (second) WLR journey.
- The additional HealthyFood cash back will be paid for three months after the WLR cycle ends i.e. the additional HealthyFood cash back will be applied to the three cash back payments that follow the end of the successful qualifying cycle. This means that once you’ve used your additional 3-month HealthyFood cash back, you’ll just receive Vitality points for successful cycles going forward.
- The additional HealthyFood cash back for a particular cycle will expire after it has been paid for three consecutive months.
- Your additional HealthyFood cash back through WLR is calculated based on the same rules we apply to calculate the HealthyFood cash back (i.e. based on the entire family’s HealthyFood spend). Existing HealthyFood caps, payment limits, and cash back terms and conditions will apply, including our right to wait to pay cash back if it is below R50.
- See the HealthyFood benefit guide for more details on these rules here.
- The main member on the policy will receive notifications about HealthyFood cash back amounts.
- You can view your additional HealthyFood cash back on the Discovery app or if you log into www.discovery.co.za.