If your answer to this question is yes, then you can make your own “nice-cream”. What is nice-cream you ask.. Well it is just as delicious as ice cream, but much healthier.
Rather than reaching for sugar-laden treats from a carton or ice cream truck, these healthier homemade “nice” cream recipe contain better-for-you ingredients. It is a perfect dessert to serve this festive season.
This raspberry ice cream recipe is healthy because it is not made with heavy cream and lots of refined sugar. This recipe mainly consists of Greek yogurt and frozen bananas. These two ingredients give this raspberry ice cream the creamy texture and it a great option to replace the heavy cream. Also it calls only for 2 tablespoons of honey (which you are welcome to omit if you want). What I like most about this recipe is that you don’t need an ice cream maker to create this recipe. All you will need is a blender!
So let’s get into the recipe.
2 big frozen bananas
2 cups of frozen raspberries (you can substitute the raspberries for strawberries if struggle to find raspberries)
¼ cup of low fat milk (you can also use almond milk)
1 cup Greek yogurt
2 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract/ essence
- In a blender or food processor, add raspberries, bananas and low fat milk.
- Blend for about 3-5mins or until smooth.
- Then add Greek yogurt, honey and vanilla essence.
- Blend again for 1 minute.
- Pour into a medium container and place in a freezer.
- Freeze it for 3-5 hours.
- Before serving, let soften on a counter for 30 minutes. Since this ice cream is low in fat, it takes longer to soften than traditional ice cream. You have to let it thaw on a counter for about 30 minutes before serving.
Tip: Whenever you have very ripe bananas, peel it, slice it, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze in a ziplock bag. They will last for 6 months in the freezer.
Compiled by Salomé Scholtz, RD(SA)